Learning Through Filmmaking
Documentary film is an all-encompassing art form that requires the production team to artistically combine the disciplines of film, photography, graphic arts, music and creative writing. Students will work in a team environment to accomplish their goal of producing an informative and entertaining documentary film.
Lesson Plan Examples
- The recording of an image on a sensor and how light works provide the educator with an opportunity for teaching the children about a science topic.
- The recording of their interviews and voice-over provide the opportunity to learn how sound and microphones work.
- The creation of the graphics and animations in the film provide an opportunity to learn about how hardware and software is integrated into the filmmaking process
- Engineering can be incorporated into the lesson plan by having the children design and build their own tripods, jibs, cranes, dollies and steady-cams.
- Time-Lapse photography requires the filmmaker to utilize a number of mathematical computations to successfully complete a video clip and is a great opportunity to incorporate math into the lesson plan.